Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Ritz-Carlton at Half Moon Bay

My family and I ventured to Half Moon Bay to have some lunch today, where we decided to visit the Ritz-Carlton.

It's been many years since we've been to this seaside town, the last occurring when I was only a little boy and we wanted to buy fresh fish.  Nevertheless, the Ritz-Carlton provided some very nice views of the Pacific Ocean while we waited for our table at their restaurant Navio.

The menu that day didn't feature anything special.  In fact, their lunch menu was the exact same as that of their second restaurant/lounge area.  Had we realized that beforehand, we probably could have saved some of our time from waiting at Navio. But in any case, the item that piqued my interest the most was the saffron risotto with braised pork and broccolini.  It was probably only the novelty of saffron being the most expensive spice that I found interesting, but I thought it would be worth trying.  I wouldn't be cooking with saffron any time soon, anyway.

The dish was tasty but I didn't find it to be overwhelmingly delicious.  The pork was quite dry (except for the fatty parts) and, to be honest, I wasn't quite able to discern the taste and fragrance of the saffron.  Maybe my expectations were too high.  Overall, I did enjoy the atmosphere and especially the ocean views from our table, and maybe the dinner menu could be something to explore in the future.

1 comment:

L said...

I bought saffron from this really cool market in Spain if you want to try some. :)